Christian Memes and Destroying All Things

Christians certainly have a way with taking something mostly neutral and turning it into something “religious.” We have never been content with just coming up with our own ideas; instead we “Christianize” so many other ideas. From taking secular holidays and adapting them to a Christian backstory during the early years of the church, to the present time where we have Christian books, movies, music, websites, memes etc. We consider ourselves to be inclusive, yet show everyone else we are exclusive.
There is nothing inherently wrong with doing things to glorify God if that’s what we are truly doing, but I think we are actually doing a disservice to ourselves and others. As habitual creatures, we certainly like to have everything our way. We have our own tastes, interests, and hobbies. We tend to enjoy staying within our comfort zones, occasionally venturing out only to return to where we feel safe. We like to reside in a safe place, where we are rarely challenged and often procrastinate. This is the danger we face in our creation of Christian alternatives.
The same people who were once some of the greatest painters, poets, inventors, and discoverers are now the greatest emulators of the culture around us. We find our comfort in the coined use of the word “Christian.” We emphasize amongst ourselves that when something is a “Christian _____,” then it’s ok and safe. When did we become so concerned with being safe? When did we stop creating our own content and start copying someone else’s?
There is something disingenuous about these cookie-cutter Christian alternatives we have surrounded ourselves with. Something that’s reflective of the cookie-cutter churches we go to and the cookie cutter preaching we listen to. Churches that challenge people don’t make us feel safe. Music that challenges us doesn’t make us feel safe. We want to hear that God loves us and it’s okay for us to mess up. While that’s true, there is also more to God and Christianity than just that.
Our itching ears have reached beyond just the pulpit to our every day life. We want to feel surrounded by Christianity because in turn that makes us feel like we are more Christian than we are. We have become memes; we destroy ourselves.
There’s no better time than now for people to start shaking the very foundation of what we as Christians believe and feel comfortable with. We have to stop supporting things that are “Christian” on principal alone. Jesus wasn’t a Christian! Not like we are. Jesus is Christ, the one we are trying to be like. Jesus didn’t listen to Christian music, He is Christian music. He hung out with drunks and prostitutes, the people who wanted Him because they had never experienced the love that He was.
When did we stop creating and just emulating? When will we stop emulating and start sharing the beauty and love God has put into us? When will we stop funding the companies that deceive us by putting a “Christian” label on the things we love? These things don’t make non-Christians want to know who Jesus is; they make them want to stay far away from a culture that has created it’s own foreign language and built a wall around itself. People will only come to know Jesus when His changing and saving power becomes known to them.

Drew Koehler

Founder and writer for Geeks Under Grace. Christian, Husband, Father, Sailor and Geek!

1. smilingdassie on August 20, 2017 at 3:38 am

Nice title and heading. Content shoots in all directions. No examples, no testimony, no real point?

• Drew Koehler on August 20, 2017 at 3:50 am

I’m sorry you feel this way. What could I have done to write this better?

• smilingdassie on August 20, 2017 at 4:24 am

Hey, Drew. First up thanks for reply and humility in asking for advice instead of being defensive. Also for your courage in bringing up a pile of tough topics in one article. I am a big fan of memes and self-defeating word play. Your title was a self-defeating meme and funny on a couple of levels. I guess I was expecting a humorous tongue-in-cheek article helping religious people to laugh at themselves and lighten up. You raise several important points without really developing any of them in this short article, but rather make some broad brushed negative comments highlighting very briefly the Problems only (Zero creative solutions I could perceive – leaving me confused, challenged and a bit depressed and yet keen to reach out to the author). In your position I would spread your interesting points over a series of short articles (all these ideas I have taken from your article – so kudos to you) e.g. the role of Memes in our culture and how to use them positively as a believer, how to be creative in this commercial culture, building bridges and opening doors in the wall around your church, testimonies of people’s lives changed through your or other’s real interaction with them e.g. addicts and prostitutes, boycotting – a biblical perspective, why are we afraid of being challenged OR define safe – and several more… These should include inspired exhortations to action – prophetic challenges include a way of escape / victory.

2. PolarExpress on August 11, 2017 at 12:02 am

Thank you so much for sharing this! I wholeheartedly agree that only sticking to “safe” Christian spaces and products is not consistent with Jesus and His ministry style. I attend a Christian Institute, which is an incredible blessing, but I often find that the highlight of my week is on Wednesday, where I go and share Christ with people under an overpass in the city that I live in. There are truly broken people there, but we’re all broken, so I want to pop that “Christian bubble” as often as I can. Being a Christian does not mean being safe.

It is really hard. Honestly, ministering to people on the streets is not something that I, in my flesh, want to do, but I am always glad after I do it. So, let’s do our best to break that Christian bubble, be it online, in our communities, our workplaces, the media that we consume, etc. May Jesus bless y’all’s smilin’ faces! 😀

• Drew Koehler on August 20, 2017 at 3:47 am

Thank you very much for the compliment! You’re right though, we have to bring the church to those who wouldn’t normally seek.

• PolarExpress on August 21, 2017 at 5:58 pm

You’re welcome. I agree 100%.