Hello and welcome! This is the Geeks Under Grace daily devotional where we dive into the Bible everyday. We take devotionals from bible.com and read the verses, devotional, and give our own commentary. Sometimes we will have multiple writers, but most of the time it will be just me. I hope you enjoy and comment with your own commentary.
This devotional is titled “God’s Peace”. It is only 4 days long. I use the ESV bible but feel free to use the version of your choosing.
“In peace I will both lie down and sleep;
for you alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety.”
TALKING TO GOD
What things keep you safe every day? Being safe gives a feeling of peace. Thank God for things that keep you safe — seat belts, locks on doors, parents, police, fire fighters and even smoke alarms.
Who or what might scream if you burn your toast or oatmeal? (you, your mom or dad and the smoke alarm)
In the old days, people were warned of a fire when someone in the street twirled a wooden rattle. People who were asleep, however, sometimes didn’t hear the rattle. Now houses and other buildings have small plastic boxes with batteries that warn when there is a fire. You can sleep peacefully without worrying you won’t hear a rattle in the street. God gives you an even better kind of peace that helps you feel safe all the time. Jesus said in John 14:27, “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.”
TALKING TO EACH OTHER
– What things are you afraid of?
– When you’re scared, how can you remember that God wants to give you His peace?
– How can you enjoy more of God’s peace today?
1. I am afraid of snakes. Yes, like Indiana Jones.
2. I just remember God’s purpose and plan for my life whenever I am stressed. I am comforted knowing that He is looking out for me and already knows what I am going to do.
3. Usually praising Him through song does the trick. Not just any song though. Praise and worship music. Called me cliché or old fashioned, but there is nothing like it. Preferably, Hillsong or Jesus Culture.
What are your thoughts? Let me know in the comments.
Go back to “Set Apart” >>> HERE
Move on to Day 2 >>> HERE
You might also like
This week: Fortnite's black hole, Robert Downey Jr.'s next movie, and literally everything coming to Disney+ at launch. We answer a question on who the next Smash Ultimate DLC character might be.
News highlights this week are Wendys' Tabletop RPG, Martin Scorsese's Marvel criticism, and more on the Walking Dead spinoff. We also answer questions on our favorite toothpaste and arranged marriages.